Why become a Member ?
MMSA is an invitational society. If you are interested in becoming a member and/or have been invited by a current member, you must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- You must be endorsed by at least 2 current MMSA members. A third endorser can be a colleague or supervisor.
- For Regular Membership, you must have a degree and have 10 years of experience in the mining industry with at least 5 years in positions of responsibility. Up to four years of education can substitute for experience.
- For QP membership, you must have a geoscience degree and 10 years of experience in the mining industry after the first degree.
Click here to apply for Regular and/or QP Membership.
If you are currently a Regular Member and want to apply for QP Membership click here.
To learn more about the application process, please check out the Application FAQ
As An MMSA Member You Can
- Contribute to a long-standing organization that works to increase regulatory and public awareness of the mineral industry.
- Network with notable engineers, mineral economists, geologists and many other experts and leaders in the mineral industry.
- Apply to become a Qualified Professional Member enhancing your marketability and industry status.
- Partner with fellow members to support and promote aspects of the minerals industry that interest you.
- Interact with and learn from dynamic industry professionals through conferences, seminars, and webinars.
- Support the recruitment and retention of younger industry professionals.
Two Types of Membership
We have two types of memberships. Regular Membership and Qualified Professional Membership. Not sure if you want to apply for Qualified Professional (QP) Membership? You can apply for this any time after becoming a Regular Member.
You are invited to consider membership in either type, dependent upon your interests and needs.
Click here to learn about our memberships and how to apply.
MMSA Membership Options
One of the primary roles of MMSA is to address the fundamental issues that face the minerals industry that are not necessarily only technical or politically oriented in nature. This unique approach differentiates MMSA from many of the other mining industry organizations that have a technical or a lobbying focus. For this reason, MMSA’s membership is quite diverse and inclusive. MMSA members focus on topics and activities that improve the minerals industry as a whole.
MMSA welcomes new members who meet the qualifications, have made contributions to the mining industry, and have a proven professional background. Prospective members may apply as a Regular Member or as a Qualified Professional Member.
The Regular Member and QP Member (Qualified Professional) classes hold identical status within the organization. The QP classification is offered solely as a service to our industry. This membership class allows the QP Member to prepare public reports for the disclosure of Exploration Results, Mineral Resources and Mineral Reserves. Because of the purpose of the QP designation, the QP membership requires a geoscience degree, but our Regular Membership accepts a college degree in any discipline. Additionally, a QP Member is expected to incur a somewhat higher overhead cost in terms of oversight and governance and therefore annual dues and application fees are higher.
Both Regular and QP members pledge to uphold the ethical standards of the Society.
INFORMATION FOR REGULAR AND QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIP
MMSA has always been a cohesive group of senior people from the mineral industry. The Society is dedicated to increasing public awareness and understanding about mining and why mined materials are essential to modern society and human well being. MMSA members are satisfied to know they are may doing something worthwhile for the mineral industry and their profession.
MMSA welcomes new members who meet the qualifications, have made contributions to the mining industry, and have a proven professional background. Prospective members may apply as a Regular Member or as a Qualified Professional Member.MMSA welcomes new members who meet the qualifications, have made contributions to the mining industry, and have a proven professional background. Prospective members ground. Prospective members may apply as a Regular Member or as a Qualified Professional Member. The class of membership, known as Qualified Professional, or QP Member is a further enhance ment and service offered to the Mining Industry and is available to current and new members. This membership class will authorize a QP member to “review, approve and certify; technical or scientific reports and disclosures for public or regulatory purposes.”