AML Contact List
Add your name and email to the MMSA AML contact list here.
You will get updates as they happen about:
Reports following the conference
ADVANCING ABANDONED MINE LAND CLEANUP … WITH OR WITHOUT GOOD SAMARITAN LEGISLATION
The summit was held at the Circus Circus Reno hotel
in Reno, Nevada on April 9, 2019
In Partnership with The University of Nevada Reno, Trout Unlimited, and Colorado School of Mines
Conference Program with Speaker List
Conference Report (Coming Soon)
- Mark Compton, Executive Director, American Exploration & Mining Association
- Debra Struhsacker, Environmental Permitting & Government Relations Consultant, Senator Gardner (R-CO) Progress on AML Legislation
- Shahid Mahmud, Team Leader, EPA National Mining Team US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) EPA’s Perspectives on AML Progress
- Gary Lawkowski, Deputy Assistant Sec., BLM headquarters, Assistant Secretary Land and Minerals Management (ASLM) Federal Land Management Perspectives on AML Progress
MORNING PANEL DISCUSSION
- Ron Breitmeyer, Assistant Professor, University of Nevada Reno. Existing Partnerships in AML Environmental Research.
- Rob Ghiglieri, Staff, NV Division of Minerals, Advancing AML Cleanup
- Allen Biaggi, Consultant, Nevada Mining Association
- Jim Gusek, Senior Project Manager, Linkan Engineering. A Pathway to Walk-Away? 30 Year Old Technology to Suppress Acid Rock Drainage Revisited.
- Carrie Monohan PhD, Science Director, Sierra Fund. Due Diligence Process for Public Acquisition of Mining-Impacted Landscapes
- Paul Jones Presenting for Jeff Graves, Program Director, Colorado Division of Reclamation, Mining and Safety. Colorado's AML Cleanups: What works, what doesn't and challenges to come.
- Jeryl Gardner, Supervisor Professional Engineer, - Abandoned Mine Lands (AML) Branch Nevada Department of Environmental Protection
AFTERNOON PANEL DISCUSSION
- Doug Young, Affiliate, Keystone Policy Center
- Opal Adams, Speaking for TM Past Owner Jim Collord Thunder Mountain. A Success Story of a Mine That Was Not Mined
- Ron Cohen, Prof Emeritus, Colorado School of Mines. An Equation that Enhances the Chances of Success of Mine Wate Mitigation by Stakeholders - Driven Projects
- Carolyn McIntosh, Partner Squire Patton Boggs. Legal Hurdles and Liability Release Mechanisms
- Jason Willis, Colorado AML Program Director, Trout Unlimited. TU Role in Mine Reclamation Work
- David Ellerbroek Phd, Executive Director, Western Alliance for Restoration Management
- Carrie Monohan PhD, Science Director, Sierra Fund. Headwater Mercury Source Reduction Strategy
Instructions for participants
The conference was held on April 9, 2019.
A report will be completed in the near future. Watch this page for a link.
Other Links related to AML cleanup.
PERC: Cleaning Up Mining Waste
Why Punish People Who Try to Clean Up Pollution?
Gardner-Tipton Good Sam Bill Solution for $50B problem
S. 3727 — 115th Congress: Good Samaritan Remediation of Orphan Hardrock Mines Act of 2018. (Note: the bill was proposed but not enacted so has been cleared from the books.)